Have you or one of your foreign national or permanent resident client’s been charged or convicted of a criminal offence in Canada? If the answer is yes, you have to listen to this Episode. You will learn what to do when you are charged and how to deal with the negative consequences if convicted. Canadian immigration lawyer, Raj Sharma shares some critical insight on navigating this complex area of Canadian Immigration Law.
The consequences of committing a crime in Canada can be devastating for someone applying for permanent residence, and equally disastrous for people who are themselves already permanent residents of Canada. Like many immigration lawyers in Canada, this area of the law is something we really do not like to deal with. The immigration laws related to criminality can be downright cruel.
I had the opportunity to catch up with Canadian immigration lawyer Raj Sharma who practices with the law firm of Stewart Sharma Harsanyi in Calgary, Alberta.
Raj has been my go to lawyer when I have clients dealing with difficult admissibility issues in Alberta. He has represented a number of high profile clients and established himself as one of the top immigration lawyers in Alberta.
Raj took some time with me to explain a number of strategies that can be used in navigating the muddy waters of criminal inadmissibility. He also shares some great examples of how he dealt with a number of his most challenging cases.
During my interview with Raj Sharma, we covered the following topics:
- Raj Sharma’s background.
- How he got into immigration law.
- Introduction to criminal inadmissibility.
- What to do if a foreign national or PR is charged with a crime in Canada.
- Why we should not give up on our clients too soon.
- How to challenge the writing or referral of a s.44 Report.
- What happens after a s.44 Report is written.
- Practice tips for dealing with criminal inadmissibility
- How people can reach Raj Sharma.
- Raj Sharma’s Contact Information: http://www.sharmaharsanyi.com/about.html
- e-mail: email@example.com
- phone: 403-705-3398
- Raj’s Law Firm – Stewart Sharma Harsanyi: http://www.sharmaharsanyi.com/
- Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (See S.36): http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/FullText.html#h-23
Listen to Mark Holthe’s Canadian Immigration Podcast
Topics for our Next Podcast
If you have a suggestion for topics we could cover in the Podcast, please drop me a line. If you know of anyone that would be interested in coming on the Podcast as a guest, please send them my way. share on facebook, share on twitter, share on LinkedIn
Binge on all of our Canadian Immigration Podcast Episodes!
If you want to listen to more episodes, you will find all the episodes here.
Ask Mark an Immigration Question
Periodically I answer listener questions on my podcast. If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. We’d love to hear from you. You can also leave me a voice message on the Ask an Immigration Question widget on the side bar of this website.
Subscribe to the Canadian Immigration Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe.