What do I do when my Canadian immigration application has been refused? This is the question I get more than any other as an immigration lawyer. Well, after much contemplation, I decided I would answer this question once and for all by inviting one of the most well respected immigration lawyers in Canada, Richard Kurland, to join me on this Episode.
Whether you are a Canadian immigration lawyer, consultant or foreign national, this episode will reveal to you some of the best options available for challenging an immigration refusal….and a few unique suggestions offered by Richard Kurland that you likely never even considered.
As a kick off to Season 2 of the Canadian Immigration Podcast I pulled out all the stops to get one of the most well respected and skilled immigration lawyers in Canada to join me as we tackle the painful issue of how best to deal with the refusal of a Canadian immigration application.
Richard is one of the foremost immigration policy analysts, lawyers and a go to resource for media, government, and pretty much all of us when it comes to Canadian immigration law.
As one of the highest ranking Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) requesters, he is most often recognized for his efforts in “keeping Ottawa honest.” As the Editor-in-Chief of Lexbase, a monthly publication providing current immigration policy and practice information, he has made a business out of ensuring transparency within the immigration department. If you have not yet subscribed to his monthly Lexbase publications, you should not be practicing immigration law!
In this Episode, rather than focusing on immigration at a 10,000 foot level, Richard flipped the focus upside down and took the time to share some unbelievably valuable insight on how to deal with the sometimes devastating effects of a visa refusal.
In our interview, Richard covered the following strategies:
- Start with a consultation with an immigration lawyer to discuss what may have been missing from the original application.
- Consider refiling or requesting reconsideration of the original application.
- Seek help from the local Member of Parliament of Senator.
- Don’t overlook the importance of a Judicial Review in Federal Court.
- If in Canada, can you restore status?
- Go to the media!
- The best way to reach Richard Kurland: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Richard’s firm Kurland Tobe: http://www.canimmigrate.com/
- How to subscribe to Lexbase: http://www.canimmigrate.com/index.php?p=1_8_Lexbase
- My most popular blog post: “What to do when your Canadian Visa Application is Rejected“
- Excerpt from Richard’s appearance before the House Standing Committee on Immigration December 13, 2016
Listen to Mark Holthe’s Canadian Immigration Podcast
Topics for our Next Podcast
If you have a suggestion for topics we could cover in the Podcast, please drop me a line. If you know of anyone that would be interested in coming on the Podcast as a guest, please send them my way. share on facebook, share on twitter, share on LinkedIn
Read the Transcript
You can read additional notes for this episode, just click here to read the transcipt below
Binge on all of our Canadian Immigration Podcast Episodes!
If you want to listen to more episodes, you will find all the episodes here.
Ask Mark an Immigration Question
Periodically I answer listener questions on my podcast. If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. We’d love to hear from you. You can also leave me a voice message on the Ask an Immigration Question widget on the side bar of this website.
Subscribe to the Canadian Immigration Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe.
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show. Share the Love