Are you currently outside of Canada needing to extend an expiring PR Card? Are you concerned about the very real possibility of losing your Canadian PR status? If you answered yes to either of these questions, this Episode of the Canadian Immigration Podcast is for you.
In this episode, Canadian immigration lawyer, Robert Leong joined me to examine this topic in detail. He shared some great insight on why complying with IRCC’s periodic request to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document, can create some unexpected and harsh consequences. This is one you will not want to miss!
It was great to have Robert join me again to discuss another great Canadian immigration topic. To learn more about Robert and how he got into immigration in the first place, check out the interview I did with him in Season 1 Episode 31 where we talked about challenges with the LMIA advertising requirements.
In this Episode, Robert builds on the previous interview I did with Canadian immigration lawyer Chantal Desloges in Season 2 Episode 3 on “Retaining Permanent Resident Status“. Robert shares some extremely valuable insight on the dangers of following a visa officer’s instructions to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada when an application has already been submitted to extend an expired PR Card…….listen in to learn what Robert has to say!
In this Episode we covered the following specific topics:
- Overview of PR residency obligations
- Exemptions to the 2 in 5 rule
- PR Card processing delays
- Why you should be concerned when IRCC tells you to apply for a PRTD
- Tips for extending your PR Card if living outside of Canada
- The best way to reach Robert:
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone Number: (604) 875-9338
- Robert’s law firm: Lowe and Company: http://www.canadavisalaw.com/
- OP 10 Section 5.1 (Old Manual): www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf
- Khan v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2012 FC 1471: http://bit.ly/2wVUHH8
Listen to Mark Holthe’s Canadian Immigration Podcast
Topics for our Next Podcast
If you have a suggestion for topics we could cover in the Podcast, please drop me a line. If you know of anyone that would be interested in coming on the Podcast as a guest, please send them my way. share on facebook, share on twitter, share on LinkedIn
Binge on all of our Canadian Immigration Podcast Episodes!
If you want to listen to more episodes, you will find all the episodes here.
Subscribe to the Canadian Immigration Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe.
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show. Share the Love