If you are a foreign national with a criminal conviction – listen to this Podcast BEFORE travelling to Canada! In this Podcast I had the pleasure of interviewing one of the most respected Business Immigration Lawyers in Canada, Barbara Jo Caruso of Corporate Immigration Law Firm based in Toronto, Ontario. BJ shared with me some tremendous insight on the inner workings of the Canadian POEs and some recent changes at the Primary Inspection Line that every foreign national needs to be aware of.
As a prior Customs Officer working at the Canadian POE, BJ walks us through the inspection process and shares some fantastic insight on what people can expect when they are going through the Primary Inspection Line.
Our conversation focuses primarily on what is now happening to foreign nationals with prior criminal convictions or even a criminal charge that was resolved, who are seeking entry to Canada.
If you fit into this category, this Podcast will give you tips and strategies on how to minimize your risk if travelling to Canada.
Most important take-aways from my interview with BJ Caruso:
- Overview of Canadian Ports of Entry and how the inspection process really works!
- Insight into the make-up of the modern CBSA Officer.
- Primary Inspection Line Officers now have access to CPIC.
- How criminal inadmissibility to Canada is determined.
- How to overcome criminal inadmissibility
- Tips for safely navigating the Canadian Ports of Entry
- Pros and Cons of applying for access to the Trusted Traveller Programs (NEXUS etc.)
[Chief Mountain Port of Entry, Alberta/Montana Border]
- The best way to reach BJ Caruso: email@example.com
- CBC Investigates | Border security: hundreds detained in 1st month of new screening measures – http://bit.ly/1TuT9Hp
- Annotated Immigration and Refugee Protection Act of Canada: http://bit.ly/1O0jdO0
Listen to Mark Holthe’s Canadian Immigration Podcast
Topics for our Next Podcast
What Immigration topic would you like me to discuss in future podcasts? Comment at the bottom of this podcast and I will consider it for future Canadian Immigration Podcasts. share on facebook, share on twitter, share on LinkedIn
Read the Transcript
You can read additional notes for this episode, just click here to read the transcipt below
Binge on all of our Canadian Immigration Podcast Episodes!
If you want to listen to more episodes, you will find all the episodes here.
Ask Mark an Immigration Question
Periodically I answer listener questions on my podcast. If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. We’d love to hear from you. You can also leave me a voice message on the Ask an Immigration Question widget on the side bar of this website.
Subscribe to the Canadian Immigration Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe.
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show. Share the Love