At some point in July 2018, the recreational use of Marijuana will become legal in Canada….however, Prime Minister Trudeau has confirmed it WILL NOT be Canada Day (July 1, 2018). With the explosion of this new industry, there is going to be a significant need for Marijuana Professionals to fill labour shortages and skill gaps within this industry in Canada. Immigration Lawyer, Betsy Kane and I discuss some of the existing work permit options that may be available to secure work authorization for these specialized marijuana workers in Canada.
Betsy joined me once again to tackle this brand new topic that has not received too much coverage within Canadian immigration to date. However, it is clear that once recreational use of marijuana becomes legal in Canada, there is going to be a significant need for people with expertise in this unique industry.
If you would like to learn more about Betsy and her firm, listen in to Season 1 Episode 22 where Betsy discusses a little more about how she got into immigration and her firm Capelle Kane which has been operating in Ottawa since 1994.
In this first episode of 2018, Betsy and I covered the following topics:
- What is happening within the Marijuana industry in Canada.
- What types of workers and specialized personnel are going to be needed.
- The various work permit categories currently available.
- Trouble areas that could pop up
- Tips for helping your professional – look professional when apply for their work permit at the Port of Entry
[Tweet “How to Bring Marijuana Professionals into Canada“]
- The best way to reach Betsy Kane:
- Capelle Kane law firm: http://www.capellekane.com/
- Legalization and Regulation of Cannabis in Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/policing/justice/legalization-regulation-marijuana.html
- Global Talent Stream: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/global-talent/requirements.html
- LMIA Process: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers.html
- NAFTA Professionals: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/international-free-trade-agreements/north-american.html
- International Experience Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp
- C10 – Significant Benefit: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/labour-market-impact-assessments/canadian-interests-significant-benefit-general-guidelines-r205-c10.html
Listen to Mark Holthe’s Canadian Immigration Podcast
Topics for our Next Podcast
If you have a suggestion for topics we could cover in the Podcast, please drop me a line. If you know of anyone that would be interested in coming on the Podcast as a guest, please send them my way. share on facebook, share on twitter, share on LinkedIn
Binge on all of our Canadian Immigration Podcast Episodes!
If you want to listen to more episodes, you will find all the episodes here.
Subscribe to the Canadian Immigration Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe.
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show. Share the Love